Step Right In

Nice to have you here







Monday, September 26, 2011

"God is Light; in him there is no darkness at all..." I John 1:5

This verse always makes me smile. It is particularly apt now as the evenings are growing longer and darker, and the tops of the maples begin their dying glory of gold, orange and fiery red. I scurry around looking for batteries for my flameless votives, so the windows in the house can blink in a friendly way to motorists or fitness people on the road.

Sometimes I rather like the break we get of bright lights, though. I like the cloudy day, where I don't need my sunglasses, the dimly lit table at the restaurant , just ready for quiet conversation. In our house of many, if I want a particularly quiet dinnertime with everyone, the first thing I do is dim those lights.

Still, if I did not have the Light God offers, how much more frustrating would be my stumbling around! Daily decisions, moment by moment challenges are made so much more ably with the light, shining the step ahead of me, on my path.

I still trip. Got some lumps to show for it. A few scrapes. But thanks be to God for his light. How we love it, need it, live by it.

Got 4 minutes? You can listen to one of my favorite songs out of the Lutheran Worship Hymnal, "I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light". When I sing it, it's loud and much faster. A while ago, I had it memorized, now must brush up on the words again. As an anthem, it is fabulous, but the only recording I could find was this slow one. Maybe you'll be in the mood for it.

Walk in the Light!

Jenny







I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light

No comments:

Post a Comment